Guide to resetting Windows laptops and tablets
- Before you start
- Get local admin and BIOS passwords
- Reset the BIOS password
- Unlock recovery mode
- Reset the device
- Apply your own settings
- Additional support
2. Get local admin and BIOS passwords
Why do I need this information?
- Local admin password - this allows you to sign into the admin user accounts for laptops and tablets where you can access options to reset the device. This cannot be done from the ‘localuser’ account on the device.
- BIOS password - every laptop and tablet has a system that controls the device, called the BIOS. To protect devices, this system has been password protected. You need the BIOS password so you can complete the reset process.
You should only share your passwords with trusted users who are resetting laptops and tablets or applying device management and content filtering settings.
To see passwords for the devices you ordered, log in to the Support Portal and select ‘My Organisation’s BIOS & Admin Password’.
To find passwords for devices you own that weren't originally ordered by you, log in to the Support Portal and select ‘Global Device Search’. Input the serial number of each device to see this information.
To get local admin and BIOS password information for your devices you can either:
- Export a spreadsheet (in .XLS format) containing information for all devices by clicking the ‘Download Full Data Sheet’ button
- Use the search filters to find information for specific devices by serial or model number - click the icon next to each to reveal details
Reset the BIOS password
Before you start