Guide to resetting Windows laptops and tablets
- Before you start
- Get local admin and BIOS passwords
- Reset the BIOS password
- Unlock recovery mode
- Reset the device
- Apply your own settings
- Additional support
4. Unlock recovery mode
To enable the recovery partition, log out as a local user and log in as the administrator.
Administrator login details
- Username: .\localadmin
- Password: The admin user password retrieved through step 2 of this guide
Once logged in as administrator, follow the steps below:
- Open the Windows start menu and type ‘cmd’ into the search box.
- Right-select on ‘Command prompt’ and click ‘Run as administrator’.
- If asked ‘Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?’, select ‘Yes’.
- Within the command prompt window, type ‘reagentc /enable’ and press ‘Enter’ – after several seconds the output should say ‘Operation Successful’.
- Type ‘reagentc /boottore’ and press ‘Enter’ – after several seconds the output should say ‘Operation Successful’.
- To check the status of the recovery partition, type ‘reagentc /info’ and press ‘Enter’ – after several seconds the output should say ‘Enabled’.
Reset the device
Reset the BIOS password