Remove DfE-provided Cisco Umbrella from Chromebooks
Find out how to remove Cisco Umbrella from Chromebooks.
Content filtering software from Cisco Umbrella was included with Chromebooks and these settings were due to expire on 30 September 2021. To ensure devices remain safe for children and young people to use, we’ve extended licenses until 30 September 2022. To keep users safe online, you should enable alternative security settings as soon as possible.
Steps to remove Cisco Umbrella
If you remove Cisco Umbrella, you’re responsible for providing alternative safety software.
To remove Cisco Umbrella from your Chromebooks, please follow the instructions below:
- Log into https://admin.google.com.
- Select ‘Devices’.
- In the menu on the left-hand side of the Device Management window, select ‘Chrome management’.
- In the Chrome Management window, select ‘Apps & extensions’.
- Select ‘Managed Guest sessions settings’, then if applicable, select the relevant organisational unit from the left-hand side.
- Select both the app and extension, then the bin icon in the right-hand sidebar.
- Return to the previous screen.
- Select ‘Users & browsers settings’, then if applicable, select the relevant organisational unit from the left-hand side. Select both the app and extension, then the bin icon in the right-hand sidebar.